Making Your Thoughts Up by Bucks Fizz (1981) is in second place, Ooh Aah…Only a Little Bit by Gina G (1996) is in third place, Love Shine a Gentle by Katrina and the Waves (1997) in fourth, and Save Your Kisses for Me by Brotherhood of Man (1976) rounded off the highest 5.
The complete High 40 countdown hosted by Steve Wright is offered on BBC Sounds from Monday 24 April and broadcast on Radio 2 on Saturday 13 Might, 1-3pm.
From Tuesday 21 March, listeners had been requested to vote for as much as 5 of their favorite songs of all of the UK entrants which have competed within the Eurovision closing since our first entry again in 1957 (aside from the cancelled 2020 contest and the 2023 entry). Voting closed on Tuesday 11 April, with the outcomes compiled for this particular present, Your Final Eurovision Music.
Area Man represented the UK on the Eurovision Music Contest 2022 in Turin, Italy, after being internally chosen via TaP Music and the BBC, the British broadcaster for the Eurovision Music Contest. It was co-written by Ryder alongside Amy Wadge and Max Wolfgang in London. On the contest in Turin, Ryder completed in second place with 466 factors, changing into the very best scoring UK Eurovision entrant, successful the jury vote with 283 factors, and scoring the third highest jury votes by a contestant. He scored the most effective UK their greatest consequence since 1998 and its first high three consequence since 2002. Area Man peaked at quantity two on the UK Singles Chart, changing into the highest-charting UK Eurovision entry since Gina G’s Ooh Aah… Only a Little Bit in 1996.
Sam Ryder says: “That is simply bonkers! We went into that competitors as followers and we thought it could be that we come completely useless final. However what we will obtain is holding ourselves with a sure grace and respect for being there within the first place, and gratitude in the beginning. After we had been sat there on the night time and people scores began coming in, we had been one another bursting out laughing as a result of we didn’t have a clue that will occur. And now this consequence! I’m simply so grateful. Because of all the listeners who voted and everybody at Radio 2 who supported the music from day one – I actually actually respect it.”
Steve Wright says: “Sam Ryder’s Area Man has actually taken off with Radio 2 listeners! I am unable to wait to rely down the remainder of the chart and see who else has been blasting off into the hearts of Radio 2 listeners as all of us stay up for this 12 months’s Grand Ultimate.”
The High 40, as voted by Radio 2 listeners:
1. Sam Ryder – Area Man (2022)
2. Bucks Fizz – Making Your Thoughts Up (1981)
3. Gina G – Ooh Aah… Only a Little Bit (1996)
4. Katrina and the Waves – Love Shine a Gentle (1997)
5. Brotherhood of Man – Save Your Kisses for Me (1976)
6. Sandie Shaw – Puppet on a String (1967)
7. Cliff Richard – Congratulations (1968)
8. The New Seekers – Beg, Steal or Borrow (1972)
9. Lulu – Growth Bang-a-Bang (1969)
10. Michael Ball – One Step Out of Time (1992)
11. Sonia – Higher the Satan You Know (1993)
12. Bardo – One Step Additional (1982)
13. Scooch – Flying the Flag (For You) (2007)
14. Mary Hopkin – Knock, Knock Who’s There? (1970)
15. Imaani – The place Are You? (1998)
16. Olivia Newton-John – Lengthy Reside Love (1974)
17. Daz Sampson – Teenage Life (2006)
18. Cliff Richard – Energy to All Our Buddies (1973)
19. Lucie Jones – By no means Give Up on You (2017)
20. Lynsey de Paul & Mike Moran – Rock Backside (1977)
21. Love Metropolis Groove – Love Metropolis Groove (1995)
22. Blue – I Can (2011)
23. The Shadows – Let Me Be the One (1975)
24. Clodagh Rodgers – Jack within the Field (1971)
25. SuRie – Storm (2018)
26. Frances Ruffelle – Lonely Symphony (We Will Be Free) (1994)
27. The Allisons – Are You Positive? (1961)
28. Molly – Kids of the Universe (2014)
29. Jade Ewen – It is My Time (2009)
30. Jessica Garlick – Come Again (2002)
31. Treasured – Say It Once more (1999)
32. James Newman – Embers (2021)
33. Candy Desires – I am By no means Giving Up (1983)
34. Co-Co – The Unhealthy Previous Days (1978)
35. Belle and the Devotions – Love Video games (1984)
36. Scott Fitzgerald – Go (1988)
37. Samantha Janus – A Message to Your Coronary heart (1991)
38. Jemini – Cry Child (2003)
39. Electro Velvet – Nonetheless in Love with You (2015)
40. Bonnie Tyler – Imagine in Me (2013)
All of the pre-recorded specials at the moment are obtainable to listen to on BBC Sounds as a part of the Celebrating Eurovision season.
Your Final UK Eurovision Music, hosted by Steve Wright, is offered now on BBC Sounds and on Radio 2 on Saturday 13 Might, 1-3pm.