Counting down the times till there’s one other F1 race within the US? We’re proper there with you! However we discovered the subsequent neatest thing: the Indy 500.
Known as The Biggest Spectacle in Racing, the Indianapolis 500 is taken into account a part of the Triple Crown of Motorsport. The opposite two races are the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Monaco Grand Prix. After all, the Monaco Grand Prix happens on the identical date so maybe you’ll wish to be sure that your streaming gadget is totally juiced so you may test in with that race when you’re on the Brickyard.
Right here’s why we expect F1 followers ought to plan a visit to the Indy 500!
The grid is stocked with former F1 drivers.
Right here’s extra about Ericsson and the opposite former F1 drivers at the moment driving for INDYCAR.
Marcus Ericsson – From 2014 to 2018, Ericsson raced for Caterham, Sauber and Alfa Romeo. He was featured in season certainly one of Drive to Survive. The Swedish driver now competes within the Indy Automotive Collection with Chip Ganassi Racing.
Romain Grosjean – Grosjean spent 9 full-time seasons in F1, driving for a wide range of groups and choosing up 10 podiums. He moved to the IndyCar Collection after the 2020 Formulation One season. He’s featured within the first three seasons of Drive to Survive. It’s possible you’ll recall that he miraculously walks away from a near-deadly fiery wreck within the Season 3 episode titled, “Man on Hearth.” The Swiss-French drive now races for Andretti Autosport.
Alexander Rossi – The American driver didn’t spend quite a lot of time on the observe in F1, however he did function a check and growth driver for Caterham F1 and Marussia F1. He made his Formulation One debut in 2015 driving in 5 Grands Prix, together with the USGP in Austin, the place he completed twelfth. Rossi at the moment competes within the IndyCar Collection driving for Arrow McLaren.
Takuma Sato – Sato is a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500 who at the moment races for Chip Ganassi Racing. The Japanese driver raced in F1 from 2002 to 2008.
And, in fact, you’re absolutely conscious of Fernando Alonso, present Aston Martin F1 driver. The oldest Formulation One driver spent three seasons racing an INDYCAR.
Extra INDYCAR drivers who previously competed in FIA.
- Callum Illot – The Juncos Hollinger driver is a former check driver for Scuderia Ferrari in Formulation One. He was additionally certainly one of Alfa Romeo’s F1 reserve drivers in 2021 and completed second in FIA Formulation 2 in 2020.
- Christian Lundgaard – Danish driver Lundgaard was a former Alpine junior driver who spent two seasons in FIA Formulation 2 Championship. The 2022 NTT INDYCAR SERIES Rookie of the 12 months in in his second season with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.
- Felix Rosenqvist – The Swedish driver received the 2015 FIA Formulation 3 European Championship, is a three-time Formulation Renault title winner and is a two-time winner of each Masters of F3 and the Macau Grand Prix. He’s in his third season with Arrow McLaren
- Marcus Armstrong – At the moment in his rookie season, Marcus Armstrong drives for Chip Ganassi Racing after three seasons competing in FIA Formulation 2.
- Santino Ferrucci – At simply 11 years previous, Ferrucci was featured in an article for GQ journal as a karting prodigy. Earlier than racing INDYCAR, the American driver raced in GP3 Collection (now FIA Formulation 3) and FIA Formulation 2 and have become the youngest winner of a British Formulation 3 race, at age 16. He drives for A.J. Foyt Enterprises.
The Indy 500 is simple to get to and never so costly.
In contrast to the F1 observe in Austin, which is situated in an space the place the observe is the one attraction, the Indy 500 observe is located within the metropolis of Speedway with many different issues close by. It’s additionally fairly reasonably priced in comparison with many stops on the F1 circuit. Reserved seats begin at simply over $60 with GA areas out there for $45. What makes it much more reasonably priced is the truth that you may soak up a cooler. So long as meals and drinks are in in non-glass containers, they’re allowed.
On race day, there’s additionally the last word celebration in motorsports within the Snake Pit, offered by Coors Mild. The midfield pageant is filled with enjoyable and options stay music performances. This 12 months’s acts embrace a number of EDM artists together with Kaskade and John Summit.
Different causes to attend the Indy 500!
One other huge purpose you need to attend the Indy 500 is that it’s legendary. The race has been round since 1911 and has showcased some wonderful racing from drivers like AJ Foyt, Al and Bobby Unser, Mario Andretti and extra!
Now, listed below are a few enjoyable details simply because. There’s a feminine driver! Katherine Legge has expertise in Formulation 3, Formulation Renault, a Formulation One check, Champ Automotive, A1GP, DTM, Formulation E and sports activities automobile racing. She’s a member of the Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing staff. For those who’re questioning if it’s THAT Letterman within the staff identify. Sure, it’s. Indiana native David Letterman is a partial staff proprietor.
All in all, the primary purpose you need to attend the Indy 500 is that this one; there’s not one other US F1 race till October!
Featured picture by jetcityimage through iStockphoto.com